Friday, January 26, 2007

The Birds Have Spoken

The birds are singing to the gardeners "Look lively planting time is coming soon." I've heard that bird song twice this week. Last year I didn't have money for plants. This year I'm going "Hog Wild". I'm even thing about trying a flower pot vegetable garden. If the weather holds I could start a lettuce garden real soon.

Texas gardening is so different then Northern gardening. Up North you can plant almost anything but your growing time is limited. In Texas the season starts off mild and then goes straight to the fires of hell. Then back to mild again. The growing season is longer but the nightmare of 3 months of very hot sun and no rain make for interesting planning. But right now I can't wait to get my hands in the dirt.

Be safe...

Picture by freefoto.com

4 comments:

The Lone Beader® said...

What kind of lettuce would you grow??
I wish I had a garden... Maybe I'll try to grow something on my deck next summer....

Lora_3 said...

LB; I'll grow some kind of loose leaf lettuce and cilantro which is easy to grow in flower pots. I've never grown Tomato plants in big flower pots but I think I'm going to give it a try. On your deck you could raise a pretty good salad with cherry tomatoes.

Be safe...

Walker said...

We put a garden up every year, mostly beefsteak tomatoes. We had one last yesar that weighed a little over two pounds.
Now inside well that is another story lol I have 34 plants inside as of last count.

Anonymous said...

I'm in Texas also. I do well with herbal plants...my lemon balm, spearmint, rosemary, and cilantro are still kickin it from last year.

Suprisingly, everything but the plumerias survived the freeze. I'm sad but I have faith that they will be back. HopeFully:)

Here Again

I'm just messing around and wondering if this thing still works. It's been awhile since I've done this. Wish I had never stopped...