Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Safety Net

My husband and I had an almost heated discussion about MySpace finally policing their sites and turning over information to the authorities. My husband has the ideology that the web was the last free frontier and that big brother doesn't need to be tracking us there. Come on, it's not like I don't understand his point.

On this mornings news they told the story about a young girl who has turned into a Internet Star. She wasn't looking for stardom but someone put her picture on the internet and now she's everywhere. She's a very pretty girl so it's not hard to understand why this happened. I'm just glad I'm not her parents. Back in the 1950's parents didn't have to worry about their children being hunted down for a picture or God only knows what else. Is this the downside to living in a media age? There were high hopes that the internet would make us smarter. Guess we fooled them.

About ten years ago I heard the story about a guy that had a web site where he in detail told how he was going to kill this girl. The web site was up for over a year when he finally carried out what he had planned. I believe he also killed himself. The girls parents had to take the ISP to court to get them to take down the web site. Ok I rest my case.

If you have friends that are encroaching on other peoples personnel space and breaking picture copyright law for their blogs or web sites, smack them in the back of the head. Tell them you don't like them taking your Freedom away!

Pull the Weeds!

Be safe...

Picture by FreeFoto.com

1 comment:

Teresa said...

very well said. the internet is a great tool, you just gotta use your common sense.

Here Again

I'm just messing around and wondering if this thing still works. It's been awhile since I've done this. Wish I had never stopped...