Monday, October 09, 2006

Blame it on Harry Potter!

Last week I was busy so I didn't do my usual Blog reading. This morning I found "Laura Mallory: School Shootings? Blame Harry Potter!" This was a post from last week by the Zero Boss! I started reading the comments and found that the last week of September is Banned book week. So I checked out some sites on that too. The Captain Underpants series is on the banned book list. (rolling eyes) (Why?)

Ok raise your hand if you think Harry Potter made that guy shoot those little Amish girls in the head? I don't see any hands. Humans decided, make choices of where there lives are going to go. The sad things is, that as Humans, we see asking for help as something really bad.

I've fought the Harry Potter wars before in my own little way. I gave the High School I worked for a copy of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire". The Librarian at the high school told me that they were talking about banning the books and so she wasn't ordering the Goblet of Fire. So I gave them mine. (hahaha) The librarian looked at me and said "you are so bad." Bad or not the book got placed on the shelf and then check out shortly after. I really felt good about what I had done then my favorite English teacher told me those books were evil and against her religion. I went to the same church that she did so I didn't get it. "Suffer not a witch to live among you"! Oh how could I have forgot that.

I'm not going to get into the whole King James translation because I like my head. (ok that was a joke and I hope you got it) The
Aramaic translation for the word is Murderer. "Suffer not a Murderer to live among you" That phase makes more sense now doesn't it.

This all reminds me of something my beloved husband Shawn said very loudly once. We were walking into Borders for the Midnight release of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, I was very pregnant with Trinity and Borders was a packed. Shawn walks in and very
loudly announices " All of this for a Book!" No shit babe, all this for a book.

The photo above is Edinburgh Castle.
Picture from FreeFoto.com

Be safe...


1 comment:

Teresa said...

I do not think any book should be banned. If you don't want to read it, don't or don't let your kids. But, do not tell me I can't read Harry Potter just because you are weird! I was laughing out loud about you giving the high school your book. You go!

Here Again

I'm just messing around and wondering if this thing still works. It's been awhile since I've done this. Wish I had never stopped...